The B2C Online-Promo and Mobile-Advertising Checklist
The global B2C e-commerce industry netted about $1.5 trillion USD of goods and services in 2014. That’s comparable with the GDP of Australia ($1.482 trillion USD). I see e-commerce overtaking offline commerce before the first man sets foot on Mars. This makes online marketing of prime importance to present-day B2C businesses. Within the online marketing space, online promos and mobile-advertising are growing both in size and in complexity.
What Makes Online-Promos and Mobile-Advertising so Exciting
Tactical online promos and mobile advertising, within a powerful online marketing strategy, are a potential David-kills-Goliath game. The small are no longer the weak. A powerfully applied online campaign by a smaller entity can potentially defeat big marketing muscle. This is what makes online-promos and mobile-advertising so exciting.
Things to Remember in Online-Promos and Mobile-Advertising
• Offer value to the customer. What’s in it for me?” is a question that is going to inhabit the subconscious mind of the customer when you first present your offering. The customer needs to know the answer to that question either directly or in terms of emotion via the words and images you present. The value proposition needs to be presented seamlessly within the marketing message.
• Target and micro-target the right customers. Businesses need to know clearly who their customers are and where they are online. Then they need to present their message in a manner that the target customer identifies with, based on their psychographic profile. The technology to micro-target is available, why not use it?
• Integrate your marketing. Marketing needs to be integrated across online platforms and offline ones. By integrating the marketing, the customers are pointed in one direction – towards the sale. Don’t confuse customers by delivering conflicting text or visual messages across channels.
• Deliver tangible and intangible benefits to customers. Customers need to be given both measurable rewards that can be measured as well as rewards that are linked with emotion during the marketing interaction with the business. Delight the customer.
• Be credible. Present your company as credible and reliable. The internet is populated with scams, and customers need to know that your offering is genuine.
• Present the business attractively. Everyone loves beauty. Present your business attractively with imagery that appeals to your target customer.
• Engage customers. Build trust by interacting with customers. Create a community online. Create together, solve problems together and celebrate together. Remember to re-engage past customers. Engagement is about making customers feel special.
• Let your customers have a sense of control. When your customers have a sense of control in the process of sale, you gain credibility and also trust.
Some of the hot spaces in promotions marketing are: contests, sweepstakes, instant-wins, digital promotions, prize fulfillments, collect and win games, gamification programs, virtual scavenger hunts, loyalty programs and employee training
The Future of Online-Promos and Mobile-Advertising
The future has begun arriving. As mobiles assume center stage and genuine brand-customer relationships are rewarded, some things will remain constant. Content will still be king. . Innovation will still thrive. The social net will be the next marketing wave as happy customers promote brands. Metrics will grow more accurate. The marketers who stay current will prove winners in this constant game of learn and apply. And the checklist will grow bigger and more complicated.